Saturday, January 22, 2011

I Don't Mean To Be Rude


I was conversing with my man Moheypori recently about the hype surrounding South African outfit, Die Antwoord, and to be honest I'm okay with what they're doing lol. I won't go into too much detail about what they do specifically or who they are (troll the net yourselves lol), but all you need to know is that they're backed by Mad Decent labelhead and superstar-DJ Diplo and that they're making it completely acceptable in society to be weird as fuck (no thanks to Bjork). But here's the thing, the image that the group is promoting is a closely related and often bastardized version of a newish sub-genre that's emerging from the ashes of the once Apartheid stricken country.

Spoek Mathambo is just one of those artists indirectly flying the flag for 'weird but still kinda cool' Africans giving Die Antwoord the canvas to just completely shit on. You won't hear me playing out Die Antwoord songs, but that's NOT because I don't like them, its because the charismatic Spoek reminds me of dark skinned David Bowie, only in instead of growing up in England he grew up in South Africa, listened to too many A Tribe Called Quest records, and practiced Prince dance moves in the mirror. Don't believe me? Check out the video below and witness his glory. (Oh and please check out his latest album entitled 'Mshini Wam,' which means 'bring me the machine gun,' in the Zulu language.)

We'll be in touch. Au revoir.

No comments: